It’s that time of the year. The CrossFit Open is upon us, and now we have an awesome opportunity to help each other reach our goals. Over the course of five weeks (Feb 24-March 24), we will be holding a friendly team competition and team building event. Nothing really special required from you all. All you have to do is come to the gym, show your team spirits, and have fun!
It’s going to be a blast. Let’s get ready to have fun, build our community, and get better. The rules of the game, FAQ section, and your team Captains are below.
Rules of the Game:
1. The Draft: everyone who is registered for The CrossFit Open (register HERE) by 1/28/17 will be entered into The Draft. During the draft each team captain will draw from a hat their team members. You can still do the open without registering before the draft…unless you are one of our trainers or more competitive athletes – then it is required to register prior to the draft.
2. Bribery, Persuasion, Peer Pressure. After the draft, the team captains are able to use whatever means necessarily to add members to their teams. If you were waiting until after the draft to join a specific team, now is the time.
3. The workouts will be scheduled for Friday nights at 6:30pm, with a make up during Sunday Funday. It is preferrable that you do the workout on Friday, and make it up on Sunday only if necessary. Everyone will be placed in heats after the WOD announcement Thursday night and will know approximately what time they will be working out by midnight.
4. Team members earn points by participating in the WOD regardless of whether the athlete does Rx or scale. The goal is to push yourself within your own individual training threshold. If you register for The CrossFit Open (HERE), you will be able to compare your score with the rest of the world on the CrossFit HQ Leaderboard. Points are also earned by being the top 3 Rx males and top 3 Rx females (not many points though). The MOST points are for TEAM SPIRIT! Each night will have a theme, and there will be a secret judge planted in the box to determine who shows the most spirit! Teams last year BROUGHT.IT. *please limit the glitter, but otherwise go all out*
5. The main mission is to simply get in the gym, have fun, kick butt, and make yourself better.
1 point for every team member who participates in a given CrossFit Open workout.
3 points for every athlete on the team who scores in the top 3 RX ladies and top 3 RX men.
10 points to the team that wins the Spirit of the Open for the respective week.
*Surprise Bonus Points may be awarded during the week for accomplishing specific tasks
Andy-you’ll be surprised how crazy I can get – Leep is Captain of the WOR Party team!! Last year, Andy was a participant on the Bar Raisers and was a major idea cultivator and motivator for his team to show up with as much Team spirit as possible. Andy is quite the artist and will surprise you at every turn. Don’t let his quiet demeanor fool you – the WOR Party team will be the team to beat in 2017.
Casi – Perfect Form – Pompa is captain of the WOD Squad!! Casi is mom to a toddler, wife to a cop, and a vet tech! So basically she can feed a 2 year old cheerios while hang cleaning a great dane and supporting her local hero all at the same time! Casi was begged, bribed, and roped into doing The Open last year by Billie and she has never looked back! She has jumped into some local competitions and impressed us all with her quiet determination. I have a feeling that quiet determination will turn into VERY LOUD determination as she takes on the other team captains this year!
Ashley – tiny but mighty – Barnett is captain of the WODDING CRASHERS!! Ashley is a powerhouse who can backsquat just about everyone in the box! She LOVES her red white and blue and LOVES to have fun. Look for her team to especially bring it during Patriotic Week! Ashley may be small, but I have a feeling that her team is going to be BIG! Watch out for lots of points each week from her team!
Jay – I believe I can Fly – Johns is captain of WORmageddon!!! Jay is our only returning captain from the 2016 WOR Intramural Open and he is ready to build his team, cultivate team spirit, and WIN this year! Jay was most known for his hilarious introductory video as well as bringing some actual fire (sparklers) to patriotic week! Jay will not be holding anything back this year and will inspire his team to push hard through the WOD and bring on the Spirit!
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the CrossFit Open?
The Open is a five-week, five-workout competition held in the winter in CrossFit affiliates and garage gyms around the world. Workouts are released online each Thursday. This year, the first workout will be announced on February 23rd, and the last will be on March 23rd. You can compete against other CrossFit gym members worldwide to see where you rank by registering on the CrossFit Games website, or you can have a friendly team and community event in your own gym. In total, you complete five workouts over the course of five weeks.
Do I have to do this?
No we can’t force you to. . . .but. . . .It’s going to be fun. So do it!!!! The sense of accomplishment plus the community building that is created is beyond measure!
I don’t think I am good enough, and will make my team lose.
Don’t worry about that. The scoring system is designed so that everyone can contribute to the team. Points are given relative to your own individual effort. In fact, you earn more points by showing community spirit than you do by doing an Open WOD, or ending up at the top of the leaderboard. And ultimately, our WOR community is the winner.
Will the workouts be hard?
Not any harder than what we already do in class. And everything will be scaled. There will be the scales provided by CrossFit for the workouts, but we will also use our own scale. The scale we use will be the same as the scaling system we currently use in the gym. The goal is to provide you with a benchmark from which you can gauge your progress later on down the road. The other secret is that you have been doing past Open workouts in class from time to time. You just didn’t know it!!!!
What if I can’t make it on Friday or Sunday?
Doing the workouts outside of Friday and Sunday will be by extreme exception only. Coordinate with us in advance if you can’t make it, and we will try to adjust. The rest of the week we will have regular workouts.
What if I need a specific time (early or late) Friday evening?
Let us know as early as possible if you have a potential time conflict or need a specific time frame so that we can put you in the best heat on Thursday night when we are making plans for the WOD Friday.
Do I have to be registered for the CrossFit Open to participate?
Nope, you sure don’t. But if you would like to, you can register for the CrossFit Open by clicking HERE. This will be the only way for you to see your score against the rest of the world.
What if I did sign up for the CrossFit Open?
If you signed up for the CrossFit Open, you will be scored according to the movement standards put out by CrossFit HQ. This will be different than our in house scaling options, and is necessary for your score to be validated.
What happens at the end of the 5 weeks?
Winners will be announced, prizes will be awarded, and all will be celebrated!!! Have you seen the Bar Raiser’s Banner proudly hanging in the box from 2016? Yep, the bragging rights are the best prize of all.
At the end of the day, this is all about building our community. Let’s have fun and work hard together towards “The Beginning of Something Better”